About Us

My photo
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Brian & Deya met in Vancouver Canada. After a few years together we were married and made choices. One was not to have children the other was not to take life for granted. The rest is yet to come.

June 25, 2010

The first two weeks

Maybe not the most interesting but certainly the most important is the first departure. If I could do it again I would have had more time between setting out and finishing work. I felt rushed and we had a lot to do before leaving. I never got to thank Sat for making me look good for two years, so I’ll do that now, Thanks Sat you’re a great guy and have awesome potential so keep learning and moving. I would have like to camp around the lower mainland a little more, there’s stuff we missed that we may not see again. It’s funny that the place you live seems to be the least discovered area.


Heading out has been a real experience, a wet experience. We’ve had a lot of rain but despite that we hadn’t had any real troubles. The opportunity to hang out with family on Vancouver Island was really good. We spent more time in a few days with the people we care about than we have in the last many years, sad but I don’t think this is uncommon to most people. This has something to do with our trip, one of the objectives. It’s easy to procrastinate and put off doing things that might be risky in order to regain your time back at the cost of your friends, family and personal growth.


We’ve been on the road now for a bout 10 days and up until last night it was a breeze. The route has been good, the Island is a beautiful place though there has been a lot of rain. It seems every time we decide to set out somewhere the rain gods rush in to shower us with good fortune. When we got to Port Hardy we arrived early and though we could hang out at the terminal for our early check in the next morning we were wrong and indecisive and lazy and as a consequence tired, cold and unorganized. We spent the night freezing and restless, half tenting in the ‘no camping’ zone. Fortunately we weren’t alone and we’re joined by a lovely Spanish couple who were also looking for accommodation that evening. They we’re better prepared than us though.


The Ferry North from Hardy to Rupert is quite nice and we’ve seen many whales and dolphins. The landscape is fabulous and I secretly wish that I could explore it, live it, breath it but this is not my adventure today. As we travel North I’m super impressed by the Canadian coast and hope that it remains this way or even improves and that people don’t spoil it. The world is a wonderful place; I don’t even mind the rain.


We’re going to arrive late in Prince Rupert, apparently it’s always raining (luck of the gods) and we’ll have to find camp and set up in the dark and the rain. This might have been avoided by a night crossing but we wouldn’t have seen much so I can't comment on the better strategy. We’ve started to feel the effects of our food budget, at 5 dollars a day for the two of us we are creative but hungry, it’s a good feeling but a challenge too, I’ve even started to like broccoli more.

No comments:

Post a Comment