About Us

My photo
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Brian & Deya met in Vancouver Canada. After a few years together we were married and made choices. One was not to have children the other was not to take life for granted. The rest is yet to come.

June 04, 2010

Hit and Run

Hit and Run


We both had a feeling, Deya’s was to leave earlier and mine was to drive onto the sidewalk just because I could. Neither one of us listened to that inner voice but when the red truck approached the intersection I waited, wanting to see the truck clear the intersection before I moved. I was going to turn right and the truck was going straight past us so this shouldn’t have been a problem.

Suddenly the truck turned without warning and came straight at us! I only made it about one foot towards my curb before he hit my left handle bar. I pushed the bike to the right, my left foot on the ground, fighting the impact when I became shocked that the driver was continuing to turn into us. His rear wheel ran over the outside edge of my left foot and I felt the pain, the back panel of the truck struck both Deya and I a racket and we were sent flying onto the sidewalk. We hit the ground, I looked up and saw the break lights of the truck go out and the truck speed up as it left the scene. Deya, heroically chasing the truck like a chihuahua chasing an elephant, I wondered what she would do if she caught it.

At the end of it all there was almost no damage to the bike, Deya and I had a couple of bruises, aches and pains for a couple of weeks. We got the plate number of the truck but the police are unable to do anything really. We’re lucky to not be badly hurt.

I still wonder where the justice is though. It’s hard to try to be a good citizen and do the right thing when the level of accountability for people like that is almost zero. I hate to think what would happen if people starting feeling that they need to take justice into their own hands. At the end of the day this guy will get what he gives, I just hope it doesn’t cost someone their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment