About Us

My photo
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Brian & Deya met in Vancouver Canada. After a few years together we were married and made choices. One was not to have children the other was not to take life for granted. The rest is yet to come.

December 26, 2010

Long days in Cordoba

Photobucket
I would have thought that the days spent here would be somewhat leisurely. The truth is we have been very busy and trying to get accustomed to life in this neck of the woods. It took me a while to say it but I don’t like this city, Cordoba. There I said it, despite its importance and the presence of caring family and friends the city just makes me ill. It is noisier than it needs to be, dirtier than is reasonable and polluted to the point that my lungs hurt. It’s not all bad but I haven’t been here long enough to make a very fair judgement, too bad. There are cool little towns nearby that are great to hang out in and fantastically cool places like Guanajuato.

We got here by December 3rd and by the 4th I was in my first Spanish class, it was interesting and the instructor was pretty good. Folks that we meet wonder why I can’t speak Spanish yet after a few classes, it’s a little frustrating but I’ll manage. The place we are staying in is a small little apartment with a full bathroom, kitchen and dining area. It’s good for the two of us. Since it’s near the Centro it’s noisy all night and there is not much comfort in the way of sitting outside due to the busy streets. It’ll do while we work on our construction project.

The project as it turned out was moving along at a snail’s pace, I was a little annoyed when I saw what wasn’t done and realized that we have lost probably 12 months of revenue. It’s one of the problems of not being on hand to keep things moving. We developed some basic quotes and a contract for moving forward but it’s not nearly the same as in many situations in Canada. Basically down here you just ask a guy to build something and he tells you what it’ll cost without any idea of the material, labour or profit costs. The contractors put all their profits into the project so you never really know what you are paying for. This is okay though because nobody asks for more than one quote anyways and if they do they don’t actually look at what is involved in the job. The lowest price must be the best right? Oh ya and I’ll take 70% up front and the 30% when the materials arrive and if it takes me six months with one guy making $58 pesos a day to get the job done then it’s because you’re cheap! Anyways, let’s just say I’m not going to roll that way.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
We have been to a lot of party events, birthdays, party’s for virgins (it has been some time), Christmas stuff, a good guy’s and bad guy’s parade in Cosco and various other outings as well as we got our haircuts done by an industry expert from Mexico. It was our 4th anniversary and we celebrated with cake thank goodness. The majority of the time for me is trying to pick up the language I hear but to be honest I have just developed a permanent headache. I know I am getting dribs and drabs but it is pretty hard. I can remember when Deya would sit patiently and then get upset about something totally irrelevant as the rest of us conversed. I sometimes think I know what is happening or simply spend all day lost and get frustrated. Everyone is always concerned that I look tired or don’t want to chat, it is because I have only got about 30 minutes of brain power before my mental strength evades me and I am stuck in dumb land. I’ll tell you now though, when I learn this language watch out, I’m going to speak with a vengeance!


We needed to get a bit of a routine; so far we have come up with this: Monday is Asian cooking night, Tuesday is baked goods night, Wednesday is movie night at a private theatre, Thursday is Taco de perro night at a local joint and Friday is up for grabs. That’s all we’ve got so far but it’ll do.Photobucket


We have also had the chance to visit a few more companies, tour the town and go for some short rides with Deya’s brother.

Photobucket
On one of our walks we saw another example of police performance. An elderly couple had been trapped in their house for two hours as someone was parking in front of their door to attend a party next door. The police were finally called, since you aren’t allowed to contact the tow truck directly, and arrived to manage the scene. After almost an hour with three transit police the tow truck showed up and the people next door came running. They argued with the police, berated the little old couple for calling the fuzz and when they were facing a fine and a tow they called someone they said was high up in the transit authority to get out of the fine and the tow! Well, the poor cop could only agree and let them go. Meanwhile the traffic had been backed up the whole time, the old couple was obviously missing their Christmas dinner and productivity level of the entire city was likely under question. I wanted to go yell at someone, instead we took a picture, the cop looked nervous and took a picture of us taking a picture of him, poor bugger.

In January I gave strict orders to Deya not to speak English to me, we’ll be finishing our floor in the building then tiling. Tucson Tony will arrive to join me in my Spanish lessons and I’m hoping to have large amounts of wine and tequila on hand. This is not a new years health kick it’s called cooping and it’ll be coupled with baked goods, push ups and savoury Tacos.
Photobucket


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you two are doing fine. COmpletely understand the frustration of learning a new language. But watch out, when you do learn it, you'll find out most of the people talk about the same things they do everywhere else; work, family, money, gossip, et cetera. In a way not understanding can be a blessing too, it's just background noise you can tune out. Take care, ride safe, happy journeys and Merry Christmas.

    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy from Judd, Sharon and Tim. Gizmo too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the guys in Moncton say hello. I have a picture to send you from Elmer. Please give me your e-mail address. Erle

    macdataman@rogers.com

    ReplyDelete