About Us

My photo
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Brian & Deya met in Vancouver Canada. After a few years together we were married and made choices. One was not to have children the other was not to take life for granted. The rest is yet to come.

December 17, 2012

Neuroplasticity: The pain of learning.

PB240054

After what seemed a brief hiatus from our travels we are about to begin another move. That might lead you to believe we are going for another adventure and we are, except that this new adventure is a little different from our last. But before I talk about where we are going let me tell you where we’ve been.
PC030049
As I’ve mentioned previously both Deya and I have been studying over the last several months and trying to re-integrate (The grind is on, 2012). It’s been interesting because nothing is the same here at home except our continued desire to work towards a rewarding future through planning and execution using a project methodology. Deya has completed her Masters Certificate in Project Management as you may have seen in some of the photos posted and I’ve just completed my prerequisite course to enter the Master of Arts program in Leadership, though I don’t have my grade back yet to know if I’ve made in yet. I am confident that I’ve done well though, so will be planning on starting the two year program in mid-January. After a short stint in Victoria on Vancouver Island I will give a presentation to the APICS chapter in Vancouver on February 28th about our 26 month trip. The presentation will primarily be about how to create your own journey, how those techniques apply to the professional person, and a short bit about why research is important. If the presentation isn’t good I know the dinner will be, at least.
PB250072PC030047
The brain is an interesting thing and the pain experienced, like a headache or mental fatigue, is sure to be a function of plasticity or neuro-pathway growth. Scientists formerly believed that your brain could not develop past a certain age but this has been proven otherwise and like any other muscle in the body it has a great capacity for developing new connections in order to perceive. In fact, as I’m sure we all might agree, if we continue to learn new things particularly languages, and music then we increase the fitness of our brains as we age thus preventing some of the rather nasty mental diseases related to aging. I like this YouTube video presentation by Michael Merzenish, Ph.D. (2008, November 4) A Revolution in Neuro-Therapeutics; Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPSdWY5VdEE

Both of us have learned very valuable lessons in these programs that we’ve just completed; Deya learned a lot about herself and how she works with teams including the structure and tools for running a large scale project and in sum I have learned a lot about the potential for learning more. That might not make sense but it’s like a little window opened up in which I can see that there is the potential to explore an otherwise hidden world, a world that is exciting but very challenging. I’m looking forward to this next step and forging onward to new adventures and challenges, within the mind and around our planet.

In the short term, Deya and I have decided to best meet our goals by moving to Mexico around the beginning of March 2013 for few months. This will allow us to complete a couple of projects we have in mind and allow us to continue to develop our skills in various areas. Generally speaking our plan is to gain experience for Deya in Project Management while I study. After some time in Mexico we will return to Canada to continue gathering work experience and studying. I have the exciting task of finding companies to help through the exercising in my program. Once I’ve completed the MA in Leadership program will be solidifying our Moto tour to Europe and then China. We have some very exciting ideas for this because, as you know, we don’t just go for the exploration but also for the education. We will inevitably be doing some other kind of research in order to create opportunities and interest and so I am looking forward to this part of our plan.

I hope you will all stick with us for this next part of our adventure as we will be offering some insight into a beautiful part of Mexico and our experience there including how to live, build (renovate), network, and find opportunities. After that out return to Canada should also be interesting and as our plan matures for Europe and China I have expectations that this might be really interesting; at least I’ll try to make it very interesting.
PC040061
Best wishes for the holiday season and a happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment